A grandmother at the age of 80 cares more about the spiritual side of life than about the material, because this is the age of memories, sentimentality and vulnerability, as often as possible meetings with grandchildren, great-grandchildren and children. Please note that the hero of the day was born in the forties of the last century, which means that her youth fell on the 60s. It was the time of the “Khrushchev thaw” and a terrible shortage of everything, the fashion for everything Yugoslav and Polish, records with jazz music, open-air cinemas, dreams of a trip to Yalta and the Caucasian mineral waters.
At the age of 80, a woman likes to decide everything herself, so it is advisable (in order not to offend with her expensive surprise) to coordinate gifts with her or talk to her about youth and listen carefully to what her grandmother wants. Be sure to consider what the hero of the day dreamed of in her youth, and how her youth passed — whether she was a factory worker, a service sector worker, or worked hard on a collective farm.
- For several years now, the so-called “basket of youth” has been popular as a gift for grandmothers. This is a set of sets, magazines, records (if there is a player) in a beautiful light wicker basket, with which you can later go for mushrooms or store balls and knitting needles in it. Older people often like to give things a second life and even gift wrapping is used.
- Cake with an inscription or a set photo print and a portrait of a grandmother decorate the festive table and surprise guests. You can order a restaurant as a gift with a short interactive program for 20–30 minutes, invited by the toastmaster (carefully study the host’s program and make the necessary adjustments) and a photographer.
- You can give an openwork shawl, a downy scarf and a rocking chair — they will help the grandmother to while away the evenings in the off-season and not to freeze until the central heating is turned on.
- If the budget allows, you can give a small set of special cosmetics French production. Indeed, in the days of my grandmother’s youth, one could only dream of French cosmetics, the most chic was the Polish cream and perfume “Perhaps”.
- A pot will be a good present for gas or electric hob with transparent lid and removable insert for steam cooking. Such a gift will definitely not gather dust in a box.
- Genealogical tree with photographs or a picture in a frame with a pedigree, where grandparents will be the center of the composition, your grandmother will definitely appreciate.
- With the consent of the grandmother, you can give a shor, but not a newfangled cabin, but mounted from glass doors and with a drain on the floor, into which you can simply step (a high side will not interfere), and you don’t have to suffer with laundering.
- You can replace plumbing but first agree on the color with your grandmother, because people of respectable age usually love white plumbing. When buying, give preference to economical models, for example, a two-button toilet, faucets with classic valves, a shor head with 2 water supply modes.
- Retro floor lamp, sconce, chandelier can bring back pleasant memories of youth to the hero of the day.
- You can also give a pet. But with such a gift, you need to be very careful: first you need to make sure that the grandmother is dreaming about it, and give only such a kitten or puppy as she wants. Please note that you will need to take care of him: wash the tray, feed him with special food. Try to take care of him as much as possible: provide food, train, walk, and if necessary, take the grandmother with the pet to the veterinarian. Calculate in advance how much time per ek or even per day you can spend on helping. Perhaps the grandmother also dreams of a specially trained guide dog.
Video congratulations on the 80th anniversary with or without a photo, on local television, will be a very pleasant gift, and all friends, acquaintances and saleswomen from neighboring stores will watch the replay of the program. Usually old grandmothers are very sociable and have friendly relations with a very wide range of people.
You can edit your own slideshow and add music, or order a mini-movie from a professional — such a gift can be presented complete with an interactive photo frame or tablet, and it will please your grandmother for years, become a source of pride, and will be shown to all the gossips-neighbors.
In a video greeting, you can include an interview with wishes from relatives and friends — grandmother will be pleased.
Theater or cinema ticket
When choosing tickets to the theater, cinema or opera as a gift, always consider the age of the birthday girl and her favorite works, do not buy tickets for modern productions, the 80-year-old hero of the day will criticize modern directors to the nines, as she is used to the classical approach in theater and cinema.
Theater tickets will appeal to an intellectual grandmother, but a country woman will love the idea of making her dream of a pilgrimage come true. It is more expedient to buy a special tour with a certain route, meals and comfortable hotels for two and keep your grandmother company.
It is better to discuss household appliances as a gift for an anniversary with your grandmother in advance so that she does not lament about the high cost and abundance of buttons on the unit. It should be borne in mind that grandmothers are used to saving electricity and not turning on an extra light bulb in the house, not to mention the dishwasher. In our quest to make Grandma’s life easier, look from our point of view, it doesn’t cost us anything to put two dishes in the dishwasher and run a fast cycle, while the elderly would prefer to wash the dishes with their hands.
A robot vacuum cleaner can be a good gift, you don’t need to bend over for it, it is economical, it takes up little space. Carefully study the operating conditions of such a unit, it will not cope with homespun paths, but if the flooring is suitable, then the gift will bring a lot of joy, receive an affectionate nickname and a response in the soul of the birthday girl.
Grandmother can be pleased with a new soft blanket or a warm bathrobe. Think over how you will wash it, give preference to super-light models made of natural material.
Fur boots, embroidered boots (without heels), a new warm fur hat can also be a good gift — grandmothers love walking with friends and grandchildren, but sore legs do not allow them to walk for a long time, so they have to warm up. A special blanket for the street may come in handy. Fluffy mittens and a light warm down jacket will be good for trips to the clinic, the store and for walks with friends.
An exclusive cane, made specifically for the height and build of the birthday girl, will not only help to move with the least effort, but will also please the grandmother with a pleasant design and its convenience. You can also buy a beautiful and reliable cane in the store from the available range.
You can give your grandmother a collection of books in a gift edition for her birthday, for example, Agatha Christie or another favorite author. Perhaps the hero of the day will be pleased to receive church literature as a gift: a collection of the lives of the saints, the Psalter or the Bible.
Today you can order on the Internet or a printing house a book about grandmother’s life with artistic illustrations or photographs in a beautiful cover, you can independently compose such a work and print it through a hardcover photo printing site.
A trip to a sanatorium
As a gift from grandchildren, you can present a ticket to a sanatorium with a free choice of llness procedures or a certain package of services, or to a specialized boarding house to improve your health. According to your budget, consider options in a pine forest or at sea, be sure to give accompanied trips — let a grandfather, one of the children or grandchildren, a girlfriend, a sister become a companion.
Older people need such trips, but they should not be lonely on vacation.
Some grandmothers at the age of 80 are fond of various electric massagers, so it’s better to clarify the model and the exact name of the required unit, and not try to choose it yourself. Perhaps grandmother wants a foot bath as a gift (carefully read the contraindications in the instructions) or not an electric, but a wooden multifunctional foot massager.
Sets or flors
If the grandmother does not have diabetes, then you can give sets for her eightieth birthday — ordinary sets in a box. If you have problems with blood sugar, diabetic options are suitable.
Almost all grandmothers are very fond of flors. You can give 1 bouquet and several flors in pots from each family of guests (if grandmother likes to do floriculture).
What else can you choose?
You can choose original and creative gifts, but be sure to take into account the age and preferences of the hero of the day. Review the photo album, remember the stories that have been passed down in your family from mouth to mouth for many years, listen carefully to all the words of your grandmother.
Based on this, choose a gift.
What should not be presented?
There is a certain category of gifts that will not be entirely appropriate. for purchase.
- Medical devices: It is better to buy a tonometer, a device for measuring sugar and drugs (vitamins, medicines) without a solemn occasion. Women of respectable age also do not like electrical appliances, especially mattresses and heated blankets.
- Certificates in SPA. Not everyone’s health allows you to visit the sauna, an elderly woman may be embarrassed to go for a massage because of her middle-aged skin, and a grandmother may consider the procedure of wrapping with chocolate or clay to be stupidity.
- Certificate in a beauty salon for manicure and hair. It’s better to bring your grandmother before the anniversary, let her pick up a new image on the computer, with which she will slay all her guests on the spot.
- Washing vacuum cleaner - after all, it must be disassembled, washed and dried after each use.
- Do not seek to change your grandmother’s wardrobe or furniture. Such a gift can be made only if she herself expresses a desire, because for the hero of the day this is not just a creaky chair, but a whole string of memories: son Vasenka stood on his legs for the first time at this chair, grandfather really liked to read newspapers and smoke a pipe in it, Masha the cat loved to sleep here, etc.
By the age of 80, a lot of gifts have already been given, and it is difficult to surprise a grandmother with something, but I really want to please her.
When choosing a present for the 80th birthday, always be guided by the desires of the hero of the day herself and, perhaps, her cherished dream will come true.
For information on what to give grandma, see the next video.